Photo Courtesy of Kieffer-Starlite
Guidelines for Employers
Update and Enforce Sanitary Procedures
- Follow CDC guidelines including mandating employees wash hands for 20 seconds frequently; avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth; cover mouth and nose when cough or sneeze
- Provide education via weekly safety meetings, flyers in breakroom, at sinks and other areas on proper hygiene techniques
- Provide appropriate hand sanitizing stations throughout manufacturing plant
- Protocols in place to clean and sanitize frequently touched machines, objects and surfaces
- Encourage all employees to disinfect own workstations on a daily basis
- Ask employees to refrain from physical contact – avoid handshakes, fist bumps, hugs, etc.
- Social distancing of 6 feet including on the factory floor
- Depending on number of employees consider rotating breaks and lunches to limit large gatherings
- Depending on number of employees consider modified shifts; running half the facility at a time to keep with social distancing
- Encourage sick employees to stay home. If an employee shows symptoms isolate them and send them home. Clean and disinfect work station, equipment and areas used by ill employee.
- Remind employees of your paid (or unpaid) leave program.
- Ensure your policy is consistent with current public health recommendations and existing federal, state and local laws.
Exposure or Confirmed Case of COVID-19
- What to do if an employee is sick (National Association of Manufacturers, Aprl 4, 2020)
- Employee stays home and self-isolates until they meet the criteria to end home isolation and have been in contact with their health provider and local health department.
- Work station, materials, equipment, areas used by individual should be closed off for 24 hours with increased air circulation before cleaning and disinfecting takes place.
- Clean impacted areas with soap and water then disinfect. For disinfecting use approved disinfectants on EPA list or diluted bleach solution or alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol.
- Inform other employees of their possible exposure, but maintain confidentiality of infected individual. Employees should self-monitor for symptoms.
Shipments In & Out of Facilities:
- Identify set area(s) for drop-offs and deliveries
- Follow general cleaning processes
- Provide hand sanitizing stations
- Maintain social distancing